Monday, January 25, 2010

Exploration Four: The Things They Carried Response

The chapter that engaged me the most was the chapter "How to Tell a True War Story" because the author told the truth about what real war stories should sound like and how to tell if the story is real or not. He told the reader that "a true war story will tell the truth about this, though the truth is ugly" (O'Brien 81). The author is just being honest. That is why I enjoy this chapter so much. A lot of stories are told and the detail he gives is so incredible; I actually feel like I'm there. One event that I thought was breathtaking was when he talks about how Lemon died. How looking back he remembers this single moment of that day, "The gore was horrible, and stays with me. But what wakes me up twenty years later is Dave Jensen singing "Lemon Tree" as we threw down the parts" (83). It made me realize that certain times in life you might not remember exactly what happened or how, but there will be small details that stick with you forever.

"What does the book make you feel about the issue of war, both in the past and/or present"-
I have never liked the idea of war. I respect those who fight, but I do not agree with the action of war. Reading this book has made me dislike the draft. When the author talked about fleeing to Canada, I was right there with him saying "just do it" knowing very well that he actually will end up going to the war. I know there are some things we need to fight for, but how does drafting people, who can potentially not want to fight in a war that they don't believe in, help the situation? It doesn't and that is what is frustrating to me. People should have the right to enlist if they want to. Just because they may be physically capable to fight, doesn't mean their mind is in it as well. On the last page paragraph in the "On the Rainy River" chapter, the narrator tells the reader that He was a coward because he went to war. Though, it was more the fact that he didn't stand up for himself and his instincts by going to Canada. He gave up because he didn't want to be judged by others. People should not have the fear of judgement pushing them to do something they don't believe is right. In the future, I hope that they do not start the draft up again. For the sake of the citizens, it is not fair. I see a lot of issues caused by the draft. We don't need something like that happening at a time like this. The people who enlist in the military want to be there. They have the passion. This book has made me realize that not everyone likes the war, there are other opinions about it and no one should be judged for having their own thoughts on the issue. The issues of war go beyond what you're fighting for. It goes into the daily life of being overseas or where ever soldiers are. War is a personal choice. Let's keep it that way.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you! I really liked "How to Tell a True War Story" as well- and I like what you said at the end, "small details that stick with you forever." I'm sure everyone (myself included) has memories like that.

    I agree with you about the draft as well- it's hard to fight for something you don't believe in. Not having the passion can also take away from the drive to fight, thus making it a lot harder to "win" in the long run.

    ReplyDelete