Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Response to "Taking Down The Laundry"

"Taking Down The Laundry" is a poem about a mother seeing her children grow up and her feelings about it. She talks about the laundry she did when her children were still young and now, she only have to do laundry for herself. Her children probably moved out and she moved to a smaller house and does her own laundry all the time. Watching her children grow and leaving don’t really make her feel bad. She writes, in the last stanza, “I will smile to myself, smile in the cooling light”, I think that she actually feels proud that her children finally grow up.
I am still living with my mom but I know I will be moving out soon. I know she doesn’t want me to leave her but she encourages me to do that because she wants me to be more independent. This poem gave me a perspective from a mother with their views on children growing up. I think all mothers will feel the same with the poet because they love their children and want the best for them. My mom raise me up, I won’t forget all those laundries she has done for me and all that love she’s given to me. Sooner one day, we will have to go our separate ways, but we will always care about each other and always be in one another's heart.

2 comments:

  1. my mom is the same way; she wants me to be independent soon. but i think it is important to thank her everyday what she has done for me in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't look at it that way but thats good. i like it!

    ReplyDelete