Monday, January 25, 2010

Style

The chapter that stood out to me in this reading was, "Style." It stood out to me because even though the girl's family had been killed in the fire, she still was dancing. I am not quite sure why she was dancing, but maybe it was because she wanted to celebrate the lives that they lived, and not let the mourning get the best of her. She might have been dancing in order to thank God that she was still alive. This chapter reminded of me of a rescue that I saw on television taking place in Haiti, where the horrible hurricane just occurred. A woman had been trapped for six days without any food or water, and the moment they pulled out from underneath the mess, the first thing she did was sing. She sang, in order to thank God for being alive.

This book, in some ways, gives me more of an idea of what soldiers really go through during a time of war. Many things go through their minds when they first find out that they have to serve or are about to be deported. They think about what their lives were like, and prepare mentally to not come back, and finish living in the future. Most of them are scared to die, but try not to show it so that they are not considered cowards. They need others to be around in order to keep themselves sane, because if not their minds wonder, and for some never really returns. The book helps me to realize that people in war are just like everyone else, but they are more than heroes. They fight and prepare to die, just so people like you and I can live out the future that they are not able to.

4 comments:

  1. I agree the novel helps to put human charachteristics on the soldiers we see on the news. This helps us connect and realize these men are just like you and I and are fighting bravely for their country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering why she was dancing by herself but maybe like you said she was celebrating the lives. I agree solders are more than heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a mystery why she was dancing but i think you made some great points as to why she might be dancing. Perhaps it was to honor the dead perhaps it was a custom in their culture. It showed life among the death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the fact that this story gives the soldiers actual thoughts and feelings. Like andrew said it gives the human characteristics to the soldiers we always are hearing about. It is a very noble thing to be a part of the military, they put their lives on the line. We should all respect them for that.

    ReplyDelete